Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On Being a Day Late and a Dollar Short

As several of you reminded me, I did not get to post every day last week, and for that I apologize. I'm still experiencing computer difficulties, and it is hard to post when you don't have a computer that works.

I worried several days last week about not posting. Here are some samples of my thoughts: "What if I get out of the habit and stop blogging?......What if people stop reading my blog because I haven't posted in a couple of days?......People are probably thinking that I'm just lazy and unwilling to commit to this......What are people going to say?......."

Seriously, I was really worried about losing readers because of not faithfully executing my daily blogging duties. Then I realized something. This is not a duty. It's not a chore. If I don't blog every day, so what? It doesn't matter. I don't have to prove my worth to people by posting random thoughts every day.

Then I realized, I do the same thing with God almost every day. I worry that if I don't do my quiet time that morning, that God will reject me. I am afraid that if I don't spend enough time in prayer, then God will stop listening to me. He won't accept me if I don't seek and serve him hard enough.

That is not true. We are free in Christ. We are free from the sin, free from death, and free from the law that chokes us.

I was joyfully reminded of the fact that we are already justified before the Lord. We cannot earn our salvation. We cannot make God love us more by following daily routines or checking off spiritual disciplines. Yes, those things are wonderful, but they do not earn our justification. We are justified through faith in Christ, and God sees us that way all the time.

Yes, discipline is good, and yes we need to seek God faithfully every day. But we do this out of love and not obligation.

And if we're a day late and a dollar short of perfectly seeking God, he doesn't see it that way. Yes, he wants us to be faithful, but he loves us beyond our imperfections.

As long as I can keep my computer charged up, I'll keep blogging every day; however, if I miss a day, that's alright, too. Blogging doesn't justify me in the eyes of people or in the eyes of God, because we are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment