Thursday, December 18, 2008

On the Next Song

Every once in awhile, I’ll go through my iPod and pick out some of my favorite songs on the fly while I’m driving (I’ll post “On Safe Driving Habits” at a later date). I always enjoy doing this, particularly with friends. We’ll pass the iPod around and take turns picking out a song. This can be quite an entertaining activity, especially when you start hearing songs you haven’t listened to since 7th grade (Backstreet Boys anyone? Wait….I don’t have them on my iPod…I promise).

Whenever I do this, though, I always find myself thinking ahead to what song will be next. For instance, let’s say my brother picks out “Genie in a Bottle” by Christina Aguilera (his favorite artist—OK, not really, nor do I have the song on my iPod…I promise—but let’s just use it for an illustration). I’ll listen to the first few minutes of the song while it brings back memories of middle school dance parties, and then I’ll start thinking ahead to what song I want to pick out on my turn. So, I effectively end up tuning out the rest of the song.

Even when I’m doing this by myself, I’ll start searching for the next song in the middle of listening to my present selection. By doing this, I am missing out on the enjoyment of the moment while looking ahead to the future. And when I get to my future song, I do the same thing again, looking ahead to the next selection.

As people, we always look ahead to what we think is next instead of living in the present. We always look for the greener grass on the other side of the fence, not realizing that when we get there, we’ll see another better looking pasture. Somehow, it’s just a part of our human condition to look ahead.

I had a current friend and former professor tell me that I did this when I led worship services once. At first I was offended, and then I realized that it was true. Instead of reveling in the current song or prayer, I look ahead to what’s coming next, hoping to get to the next part which I think is going to be particularly awesome. And then that moment comes, and I’m already skipping to the closing song.

It’s time that we learned to slow down and live in the present. We’re not guaranteed another minute, so why try to jump ahead?

When you look at the life of Jesus, he didn’t jump ahead to the crucifixion. He lived in the present among the people he was around, healing them, taking care of their physical needs. Yes, he knew the cross was coming, and his life moved towards that, but he never forgot to minister to people in his current situations. We would do well to do the same thing.

So, no more skipping ahead. Live in the moment. Be where you are right now.

And when the next song comes, you can truly enjoy it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment