Wednesday, December 3, 2008

On Losing Things

I lost my flash drive today. It was pretty terrible. I got to work and tried to start finishing a project I started yesterday, only to find out that I didn't have my flash drive. I thought it was at home, so I left work momentarily to walk back to the house and get it, but alas, it was not there either. So, off to the computer lab from last night, which also yielded no results.

Consequently I was in a bind. ALL of my stuff from work was on this thing. That on top of a bunch of personal stuff, including resumes and church material, made it quite a horrible loss.

I didn't know what to do. I checked with people from the college to see if one had been turned in. I turned my room at the house upside-down looking for the thing. Finally (no lie), I actually sat down and prayed to God to help me find the thing. It was a pretty big deal.

Well, long story short, I found the flash drive. Actually, someone at the college found it and contacted me, so I got it back along with all of my information. Needless to say, I was greatly relieved. No one had stolen my identity (which is oh-so-valuable).

After I breathed a big sigh of relief, I was reminded of Jesus' parable in Luke 15, in which a woman loses one of her ten silver coins. She then sweeps the whole house looking for it, and when she finds it, she rejoices with her neighbors. Such a great celebration for such a small find, but I completely understand. I felt the same way after finding a small piece of plastic!

God feels the same way when we come to him. Whenever one sinner comes to saving grace in him, he rejoices with all his might. It may seem like a big to-do over nothing due to the fact that it's just one person out of several billion, but to God, that does matter. He finds joy in each individual person, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

No, I'm not going to throw a party because I found my flash drive, but I am pretty excited. After all, I got all my stuff back.

God gets excited about us too, because we're his creations. And that's more personal than anything on my flash drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment