Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On Hiking

I love to hike. It's something that I never really got to do when I was growing up, but since I've been in college, I've really enjoyed hiking. There's just something about getting away from everything, going into the woods, and walking around in the middle of nowhere that particularly appeals to me.

Yesterday, I went hiking at F.D.R. Park in Pine Mountain with a couple of my friends. Thankfully our schedules coincided so that we either didn't have to work or were able to change our work schedule so that we could have the afternoon off. We had a great time, and did a 3.2 mile hike. It was great. The scenery was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and the companionship was very nice--on a couple of levels.

First of all, I enjoyed hanging out with my friends. It had been awhile since we'd really done anything like that, and it was great just to spend some time with them, talking and what not. We also listened to some good songs on the ride there and back--like some good old According to John.

Secondly, I enjoyed listening to God. Going hiking always does this for me. It makes me slow down and listen, and being in the middle of the woods is a perfect place for such activities.

People all throughout Scripture retreated into the wilderness to listen to God speak. Elijah fled to Mt. Carmel. John the Baptist lived off of locusts and honey. Jesus often went away in the early morning to spend time alone with God in the mountains.

God wants to speak to us, but we get too busy to listen. We can't hear his voice amidst the hustle and bustle of our normal lives. It just gets drowned out by our business.

Sometimes we just have to slow down and find him in the world around us. Sometimes we just have to look for him in his creation.

Sometimes we just have to take a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment