Saturday, November 22, 2008

Psalm Saturday: Psalm 3

Psalm 3

O Lord, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
there is no salvation for him in God.
Selah

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
and he answered me from his holy hill.
Selah

I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around

Arise, O Lord!
Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.

Salvation belongs to the Lord;
your blessing be on your people! Selah.
________________________


David wrote this Psalm regarding the time he spent as a fugitive hiding from his son Absolom who usurped David's throne. David was fleeing. He was on the run. He was scared. His life was falling apart around him.

I have felt like this many times. While I may not be pursued by physical enemies, I often run around worried and stressed out about everything. My response should be like that of David--to wait upon the Lord for peace, comfort, and protection.

David did not question God in this Psalm. He remains steadfast in his faith that God will protect him and offer salvation even though everyone doubts the Lord's power to save. However, David is sure that the Lord will take care of him, so much so that he was able to lay down and get a good night's rest because the Lord sustained him.

We are reminded that salvation belongs to no one else but the Lord. It is only he that can bring deliverance. Salvation is found in nothing else. Though we try to save ourselves in many ways, salvation t cannot come in the form of any other mean.

The Lord protected David in his time of trouble, and he will take care of me in mine. May I stop worrying and trust in him in the good times and the bad.

And when my does fall apart around me, I can trust like David did that God is a shield about me, and I can lift up my head in praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment