Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day of Thanks, 11.09.08

Today, I am thankful for:

1. Health. I was just thinking this morning about how I haven't really gotten sick in awhile (which is unusual). Others are not so fortunate. My mother is battling some liver problems now. I have a friend with a broken back. Things could be a lot worse. Thank you, God, for health. May I use it for your glory, and when I am sick, may I never complain about my ailments. Instead, help me to trust in you.

2. The weather. The weather has been beautiful as of late. We got a nice rain on Friday. The leaves are changing and beginning to fall. It's warm enough during the day to enjoy the sunshine, while at night, it's cool enough to sit by a fire or turn the heater on in the car. Thank you, God, for controlling the weather, for giving us the exact circumstances we need, and for making the changing of the seasons so beautiful.

3. Falling gas prices. I passed by a station which had gas for $2.00 today. I plan to fill up this evening on my way back from church. I can't believe that less than 6 months ago gas was twice that expensive. My budget is already tight, and high gas prices hurt me, even as little as I drive. Thank you, God, for giving my wallet a break. Thanks for being in control of the economy and for taking care of my transportation needs. You like taking care of the little things, and for that, I'm thankful.

4. The opportunity to preach tonight. I get to preach during our evening service tonight at church. I teach every week during youth, but I always enjoy getting to bring God's Word to the entire church congregation whenever I am able. Thank you, God, for calling me to preach your Word. Thank you for Ronnie asking me to fill in for him tonight at church. Thank you that your Word is bigger than I can ever be. May you use what I say to bring you glory and to encourage and challenge the body of believers.

5. My computer. As much as I curse the thing for being old, slow, and rather cumbersome, I have a laptop. It allows me to do a lot of work here at the house, and it lets me do things at the church, like present our song lyrics in a sustainable manner (rather than killing trees). It allows me to have internet communication, where I can keep in touch with my friends via email, and it lets me do this blog. Thank you, God for this computer. May you bless it for your work, and may I never use it for any sinful thing. May I watch the amount of time I spend on it, and may I never make it into an idol. I do not want to worship the created things rather than my Creator.

Thank you, God, for these blessings, both significant and trivial. You are God, and you are good.

2 comments:

  1. wow 2.00!!! gas here is 2.35 and im praising Jesus! take a pic if you see it below 1.00!!!

    ReplyDelete