Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On Walking to Work

For the most part, I usually walk to work every day. I’ll drive if it’s raining, or if I have somewhere to be as soon as I get off work, but I try to walk if I can help it. I am fortunate in the respect that my job is only less than half a mile from my place of residence, and it only takes me about 5-7 minutes to walk there every day (this time is dependent upon several factors—Am I late? Is it cold? How many squirrels distract me during my walk? Did I forget something? How excited am I about work that day?...etc.). Either way, it’s not far at all.

It’s a nice walk, down a block through my neighborhood, through a nice little wooded area along a sidewalk, and then I’m there at work. There’s even a little bench by some steps in the wooded area in case I get winded from my arduous journey. The other day someone even left me an oatmeal cream pie (still in the wrapper, mind you) sitting on the bench. I decided to leave it for the next passerby.

I try to ride my bike sometimes as well, going to class in the evenings at the college. It’s about a mile away or so, if that, but I take the back streets so I can avoid traffic. This trip is a little tougher because of all the steep hills, but I get where I’m going in a reasonable time (although I’m pretty winded by the time I walk in the library).

I travel to these places without driving for a couple of reasons. First of all, it saves gas and money. That’s a no-brainer. Secondly, it’s healthy (unless I eat that oatmeal pie that’s sitting on the bench—I might grab it today). Thirdly, I really enjoy the trips. It allows me to slow down and appreciate nature and my surroundings more than if I was in my vehicle. And lastly, I think it’s what Jesus would do.

Now, before you start screaming “But I can’t walk where I need to go! It’s too far! I have to carry stuff in my car! I’m on a time crunch!” let me say that I understand. However, I think we miss out on a lot of things by traveling in our cars by ourselves all of the time. Yes it is necessary sometimes. I have to drive to the church everyday to work up there. But is it necessary all the time? Do you really have to drive everywhere you go?

If you look at Jesus’ life, he did a lot of ministry when he was walking to or through different towns? Why? Because he could actually talk to people. Let us hypothesize for a moment. If Jesus were driving around in a nice car for instance, trying to get to the next town as quick as he could, would he have had the opportunity to heal as many people as he did? Probably not. Would he have been able to stop at the mountainside and give us the Sermon on the Mount? I don’t think so. See where I’m going? Jesus created opportunities for ministry because he interacted with people as he was travelling.

I understand that driving is necessary sometimes. Our cities, jobs, families, and churches are further apart than they were in Jesus’ day. However, we have alternatives. Consider carpooling. It’s a great way to build relationships with others. If you live in a large city, ride a bus or another form of public transportation system. There are hundreds of broken people in those places every day. And if at all possible, take your time and walk.

It’ll help you experience God and experience people.

No comments:

Post a Comment