Monday, November 17, 2008

Day of Thanks, 11.16.08

Yesterday was nonstop for me from the moment I woke up until late last night, so yesterday's "Day of Thanks" post got pushed back until today, when I could finish it. Later today, I will also publish Monday's post.

Today, I am thankful for:

1. Friends. I got to see a couple of friends of mine over the weekend whom I hadn't really hung out with for awhile. Also, I went to a house party for some other friends of mine and had a great evening meeting some new people and enjoying good company. Overall, it was the most social weekend I've had in a very long time. I thoroughly enjoyed making new friends and rekindling old friendships. Thank you, God, for friends. Thanks for giving the human heart a desire for companionship, and thanks for meeting that need. And thank you, that above all, you are also my friend, the one who sticks closer than a brother.

2. Church music. I led some musical worship on Sunday night at my church. I always enjoy getting to lead people to God's throne, through song, and our church is starting to use some contemporary music in our services. Thank you, God, for giving me musical abilities and for allowing me to lead people in worship through song. Thank you for making music and for calling us to sing.

3. A place to stay. I live with some good friends of mine here in town, and to be honest, I feel like I'm ripping them off because my rent is so cheap. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have been able to stay in LaGrange and continue my ministry at the church and in the community. Money was tight, and I had no place to stay, but these guys came through for me. And, to top it all off, I really enjoy hanging out with them as well (and Katie is quite the cook, too....). Thank you, God, for Nate and Katie. Thanks for providing me a place to live while I am in LaGrange. Thank you for their friendship and generosity. May you bless them and their home.

4. My jobs. I work two part time jobs, one as an assistant sports information director at my college alma mater, and the other as a youth minister at my church. Both jobs demand a lot of time. I work 7 days a week most weeks, and my schedule is often quite hectic. Nevertheless, I have jobs and a source of income, however small it may be. There are many people right now who have no job or means of sustenance. Thank you, God, for providing employment for me. Thanks for giving me jobs that I enjoy. May I never complain about how much I work, how hard it is, or how bad the days might be. You have created mankind to work. Thank you for providing for me.

5. A short commute. Every day I can walk to my job at the college and bike to class in the evenings. It saves me money, it's more relaxing than driving, it's healthier for me, and it's more sustainable for the environment. Thank you, God, for allowing me to live close enough to my school where I can walk or bike to work and class. Thank you for helping me to save a little money. Thank you also for the time I am able to spend with you while I travel. It is truly enjoyable.

Thank you, God, for these blessings, both significant and trivial. You are God, and you are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment