Thursday, January 1, 2009

On Thinking Arby's

This evening, I went to Arby's with Joey and Travis, a couple of my youth. We usually would go to Chick-Fil-A to hang out and discuss the week's events, but tonight Chick-Fil-A was closed. So, we had to come up with another option. I like Arby's, but I hadn't been in a really long time. Tonight, though, when thinking of dinner options, the fast food restaurant just came to mind. I guess I was "thinking Arby's," as the commercials say.

Anyway, the night was very enjoyable. The food was good, there was hardly anyone there, it was really clean, and it was quiet, so we were able to have a good conversation without having to yell. On top of that, Arby's was definitely where we needed to be that night for two other reasons.

First of all, I ran into a youth minister peer of mine here in LaGrange whom I've had brief conversations with over the past couple of weeks. I guess he was thinking Arby's, too. I've really been praying that God would send someone my way with whom I can converse on a weekly basis and have as an accountability partner in my ministry. We talked for a few minutes about ministry and church stuff, and after our conversation, we agreed to meet together more often. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a great relationship.

Secondly, I was talking with Travis and Joey about how I was really enjoying Arby's because I felt like we could use it as our new weekly meeting spot due to it's many positive aspects. I was particularly excited about the possibility of getting to know some of the employees and build relationships with them as a result of our weekly get-togethers. As I finished uttering these words, one of the workers came and asked us if we had some jumper cables to jump off a car out in the parking lot. Long story short, we were able to help a lady start her car, serve some people in need, and open the door to meet some of the employees at the restaurant.

I guess God really does give us what we ask for, huh? Tonight, I thought I was going to a weekly routine of dinner at Chick-Fil-A. However, because of a change in circumstances, I was able to meet some new people, serve those in need, establish some potential contacts for ministry, and perhaps find a new meeting spot.

I guess God was thinking Arby's, too.

1 comment:

  1. dude....arby's was the best choice ever...tonight was really great, i could just feel God's presence, especially when we were talking about getting to know the employees....thanks matt, for thinking arby's

    ReplyDelete