Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On Doing It To Get It Done

Tonight, I am not very motivated to do this blog. It's late. I'm tired. It's been a long day. Don't get me wrong, I've had several things go on this week that I really want to talk about, several lessons that I learned that I feel are worthy to be passed on to you, but right now I honestly am just not in the writing mood.

Don't we do that all the time with the Lord?

"God, I know I need to read your Word, but it's late, and I'm really exhausted. I know you have something to day to me, but I'm just not in the mood right now."

Or "God, I know that you want me to go out and serve the needy in my community, but I'm just so busy. I don't really have time to go and do anything, and it would really be inconvenient for me. I'm really just not in the serving mood right now."

Sometimes we don't feel like doing what we know we need to do. That's life. But it's during those times that we have to push through. The writer of Hebrews reminds us to "strengthen our hanging hands and weak knees" and press on even when we don't feel like it. A life of faith isn't easy, but it's totally worth it to persevere.

When we do go ahead and do what we know we should, we often find that it's quite enjoyable. It just took a little prodding to get us out of our feeling of laziness, apathy, or weariness.

So keep forging ahead, even when you don't feel like it. I'm sure there were times when Jesus didn't feel like doing his ministry, but aren't we glad he kept going?

No comments:

Post a Comment