Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On Power Supply Upgrades

I recently bought a new video card for the computer I use up at the church, which will enable me to use the computer along with my projector and have an extended display setup. For those of you who aren't very techno-savvy, it basically means I can display videos and song lyrics on the projector without letting the whole world see what you're doing on the computer.

Anyway, when I found the the video card that I wanted, I noticed that it required a power supply of 450 Watts, where my current power supply for my computer was only 250W. Yeah. So, I had a decision to make. I could settle for a cheaper video card which wouldn't do as good of a job, or I could upgrade my power supply. For once in my life, I didn't go with the cheaper option, and I went ahead and upgraded the power supply too so that I could get the good video card. After installation of both products, I'm very happy with my choice.

As I installed the video card and power supply into my computer, I drew an interesting parallel between my computer and my heart. Sometimes, I feel like I could have a higher productivity in my spiritual life. I feel like there are things I could be doing better or more of. However, in order for me to upgrade to better effectiveness in my ministry, I require a stronger source of power. In other words, I don't gain enough strength from time spent in the Word and in prayer to sustain a higher amount of ministry.

Consequently, I'm faced with a decision. I can spend the same amount of time with Lord, drawing the same amount of sustenance that I receive now, and live the same mediocre lifestyle that I live now, or I can upgrade my "power supply" of time spent with the Lord so that I can also upgrade my effectiveness as a disciple and minister.

So many times, whether consciously or not, we don't feel like boosting up our devotional life will be worth it. We don't feel like the sacrifice of time and effort will give us enough rewards to warrant spending more time with the Lord. And we are sadly mistaken.

To be effective for the Lord, I mean truly effective, we must be close to his heart. And to be close to his heart, we must spend time reading his Word and praying. We must constantly be seeking his heart.

And if we don't, we won't be able to sustain an effective lifestyle of fulfilling the Great Commission like we need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment