Monday, March 2, 2009

On Snow

It snowed this weekend, as I'm sure everyone is aware.

It was really awesome, playing around in the snow, throwing snowballs at my brother, building a snowman (and a snow-cat), and watching the cats play around in the snow. I even had the opportunity to help a person in a stranded vehicle out in front of the house.

One of the things that struck me most about the snowy Sunday was the sheer beauty of it all. The snow fell so heavily and so quickly, it was amazing. It covered everything in white, blanketing the entire city. It was pretty awesome.

As I looked at the snow (and played around in it), I was reminded of God's love towards us. David tells us in Psalm 51 that though our sins might be as red as scarlet, God's love washes us as white as snow. And like the snow outside, it completely covers us. There is no trace of what was there before. Our sins are erased by the love of God.

However, there is one difference between the snow and God's love. Today, the snow is all but gone. There are only a few remnants of it on the shady sides of some rooftops, but that's about it. With God, though, his love never disappears. It never melts. It never fades.

His love endures forever.

His forgiveness endures forever, too. It will never go away, leaving us vulnerable to our sins. Our old nature will never be seen by him again. Sure, we can sin and run away from him, but his love for us will never wear off. He removes our sins from us as far as the east is from the west.

Praise the Lord.

Too bad the snow isn't the same way.

2 comments:

  1. just thought I would let you know I have chosen Psalm 51 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd talk about the snow in your blog...I thought right.

    ReplyDelete