Monday, March 30, 2009

On Nightmares

The other night I had a bad dream. It was probably the worst dream I've had in a long time. Why, you might ask?

I had a dream that I was getting chased by Michael Jackson.

No kidding. It was terrible. For some reason, I was in my old neighborhood in Thomaston (where I grew up), and I remember running down the street because Michael Jackson was chasing me.

I don't remember too much else about the dream (unfortunately). As I woke up, though, I was petrified. Who wouldn't be if Michael Jackson was chasing them down the street?

I really wish I had Joseph's abilities to interpret dreams. Perhaps God was telling me that I'm in danger. Or maybe I am running away from my problems. Perhaps I'm having an identity crisis....Who knows.

This I do know, however: I have no reason to be afraid in this world. My identity does not rest here. My faith does not rest here. My hope does not rest here. My security does not rest here. My joy does not rest here. My future does not rest here.

Why? My identity is in Christ. My faith, hope, security, joy, and future are in Christ. And last time I read Scripture, I remember Jesus saying that though we might have trouble in this world, we can have the peace of Christ because "neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39).

It doesn't matter what happens here. I could lose my health, my wealth (or lack of it...), my home, my family, my friends, my job, or even my life, but these things cannot separate me from Christ. I am secure in him.

I don't even have to worry about deranged psychopaths chasing me down the street, no matter how ugly they might be....

P.S. I'd love to hear your dream interpretations for this one.

2 comments:

  1. Michael Jackson is a symbol of confusion (he is a confused individual).

    You are running from confusion, as in you do not want to be confused.

    As to what you don't want to be confused about... I think it's Thomaston.

    That'll be $100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me Michael Jackson represents grits. Yes I said grits. As they are nasty he is nasty.

    Running away is a sign of wisdom. Wisdom to stay away from grits/MJ.

    Thomaston represents Neverland/a kitchen where grits are being cooked>

    Matt this is very deep. Hope this helps. Since I'm in ministry I can't charge you its free.

    Jimmie

    ReplyDelete