Friday, May 29, 2009

On Crashing

No not that kind of crashing--don't worry. There was no wreck. I'm talking about being really tired and going to sleep.

Yesterday, I just didn't feel like I had much energy. I felt tired all day. I'm not really sure why. It's not like I do anything at work.....(just kidding). Maybe it was because it was my first full week at my new job. Perhaps I was getting sick. Who knows. Anyway, I left the office, drove home, threw my bag down on my bed, and instantly proceeded to fall asleep. I don't think I'd done that so quickly in my life.

The nap didn't last for very long. I had a meeting last night at 6:30, so I only slept for about 45 minutes or so. Still, it was very nice.

Sometimes I just get that way. Things pile up, I get busy, I don't get enough rest at night, and I find myself feeling very overwhelmed and tired. Then at some point, my body just says, "enough," I'm going to go to sleep now.

I feel our spirits are very similar. So many times we don't allow our spirits to rest with the Lord. We overwork ourselves with worry, business, and sin. This stretches out our spirit to the point that we feel tired inside, almost depressed even.

That's when we have to find rest in the Lord. Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

This doesn't mean that Jesus will make life a cakewalk for us. He said many times that life would be difficult. However, he reminds us in these verses that we don't have to do this on our own strength. We need the peace that only the Lord can provide to get us through our difficult times.

So trade that tired sigh for a shout of joy. Turn that frown into a smile. Go find rest in God and in his Word. He'll rejuvenate you so you can get going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment