Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On Being Safe

If I asked you to list the top 5 things that you most often pray for, I wonder what the response would be. Blessings for food would be up there probably. I mean, most people reading this blog at least ask the blessing for the food. Other than that, you would probably list praying for sick friends/relatives. I guarantee you, though, on just about everybody's top 5 prayer requests is a plea for God to keep you safe during _________.

Keep me safe while I travel. Keep me safe while I play this softball game. Keep me safe tonight while I sleep ("watch and guard me through the night," if you will...). Keep me safe on this mission trip. Etc., etc.

Just about all of us pray for safety. That's not a bad thing. Many times in the Bible people prayed for safety, and God delivered. Many times in history people prayed for safety, and God provided. If you look at all the times David prayed for protection, they are quite numerous.

Praying for safety is not wrong, but it is not always good.

What!?! Am I crazy? Am I off my rocker? Why would we not want to pray for safety? After all, if David, "a man after God's own heart," prayed for safety, why can't we?

I want to pose a question to you. What do you desire more: safety and protection or bringing glory to God?

At first thought, most of us would say bringing glory to God, of course. However, what does your prayer life say? If I recorded all of my prayers, I would probably find that I tend to pray for what I want (i.e. blessings and safety) more than what God wants (i.e. glory).

Instead of praying, "God keep me safe," what if we started praying, "God use me regardless of the cost"? What if our prayers were not focused on our health and wants but on the glorification of the name of God?

What if the cost of bringing God more glory was that you were not safe? Are you willing to pay that price?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's biblical to pray for safety. However, every time you see someone pray for safety, it is not for selfish reasons. It is so that they can glorify God more (I refer you to Ezra 8:21-23).

Our ultimate aim should be God's glory, not our comfort. Jesus said that if we were to be his disciples it would come at the cost of carrying our crosses, or in other words, being willing to die. Have you counted that cost? Are you willing to suffer or even die if it means bringing God glory?

Jesus was. We should be too.

2 comments:

  1. If there is no risk then it is not faith. Faith implies that only Jesus can accomplish this step in front of me. God receives the Glory He is due when we push past our understanding and abilities into the realm of "if God doesn't come through."

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    Going to miss you around LC!
    Take care.
    Dean Hartman

    ReplyDelete