Wednesday, June 17, 2009

On Swimming

I went swimming this evening for the first time in awhile. We had a youth event at one of my student's house, and they happened to have a pool, so most of us went swimming after dinner and Bible study.

I'm not that big a fan of swimming, honestly. It's not that I'm not a good swimmer. I was on swim team for several years and even lifeguarded for 3 years during high school and college. It's just that now that I've gotten a little older, swimming doesn't appeal to me that much.

I took my swimming stuff tonight just in case I decided to hop in, which I ended up doing after several of the youth got in. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time. It's just that if none of the youth wanted to swim, I definitely wouldn't have been the first person in the pool.

I think it's rooted in laziness honestly. I know that if I get in the pool, it will require me first of all to change clothes. Then, after I swim, I'll have to dry off from getting wet. Then I'll have to put on some dry clothes after I get out so that I don't soak my truck on the way home. Then when I get home, I'll want to shower to get the feel of the pool water off of me. Aahhh, it's just not worth it to me.....

But whenever I actually do go swimming, I realize that it's fun, and that it really is worth the trouble. I have a great time hanging out with friends, and it's definitely good exercise.

It's just so hard to get myself to see the benefits instead of the consequences.

I do the same thing with prayer (which we just happened to discuss tonight in Bible study). I get lazy and don't want to do it. I know that I'll have to put aside time, then I'll probably get convicted of some stuff in my life that I'll have to change, not to mention I really don't like to hear the sound of my voice when I pray outside by myself....

But then I spend time in prayer, and it's great. The fellowship and communion with God is wonderful--totally worth any consequence of "lost" time or uncomfortable feelings.

If you're like me, sometimes it's hard convincing yourself to spend concentrated time in prayer. Sometimes, though, you just have to ignore those voices and jump in anyway.

Come on in. The water's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment