Thursday, April 23, 2009

On Taking a New Job

It is now official: I have accepted a job as the Youth Minister at First Baptist Church in Moultrie, Ga.

Boy, is it good to finally say that publicly.

Let me start by saying that I'm really excited about this opportunity. God has really been moving in that local church throughout this past year, and it's an exciting time to hop on board with them. I'm really looking forward to what God is going to do.

It's really neat how he's worked this out. When I first got a phone call asking for my resume for the open position, I was very hesitant (to put it mildly). I wasn't looking for a new church. I was very content at East Vernon in LaGrange, working at a smaller church for pretty small pay. These things were not an issue. God was working at EVBC, and I really felt like he wanted me there. For those of you who know my whole story, you know that I stepped out on faith a year ago to stay at East Vernon another year, even though I didn't know how in the world I was going to do it (thanks Nate and Katie for giving me a place to stay, and thanks to the church for giving me a raise to enable me to stay).

God, however, would not let my heart rest in regards to this position at Moultrie. Consequently, I put in my resume.

I remained very apprehensive early in the process. I had a lot of questions: How could God be calling me away from a youth group in which he had been moving so obviously? How could he call me away from students who had such need (most of you know that I 90% of my students are in broken homes and have little-to-no parent involvement in their lives, much less the church)? How could he call me away from such a loving and supportive church?

Then I realized something very important: it's not about me. God never needed me in the first place. I am just an instrument in his hands, and he can do whatever he wants with me. I just need to be willing to follow him wherever he wants, regardless of the cost (Matt. 16:24-27).

Over the several months that this whole process took, God slowly worked things out, both on my end and on the part of the search committee at FBC Moultrie. He opened doors for me there and shut doors on the other applicants for the position until I was the only one left.

It's quite humbling, honestly. I never thought that at the age of 23, with no seminary experience yet, and having never had a full-time job at a church that I would even be considered for the job at FBC. However, God never calls us where he doesn't equip us. I'm just glad that FBC had the faith to follow the direction that God led them in: toward me.

To an outside observer, it would be very easy to assume that I took this position for several reasons: It's where my parents live. It's a bigger church with better monetary benefits. It's a "step up the ladder" as one of my church members told me. But please understand that NONE of these reasons had ANY influence on this decision. I can say that with 100% honesty. You can ask my parents and close friends in whom I confided for wisdom during this process. The only reason I am going to Moultrie is because that's where the Lord is leading me.

Sure, it'll be nice being with my family. And sure, being taken care of financially is definitely a blessing. However, these are just additional blessings on top of the fact that I get the opportunity to serve the Lord in youth ministry. Hands down. If this job was on the other side of the planet and paid diddly squat, I would still take it. I can say that with all honesty. I have come to the point in my life where I will follow the Lord wherever he leads, trying my best to live out what it means to be a disciple of Christ.

Yes, it's going to be hard stepping away from my place at East Vernon. I've grown to love that church dearly, and I would give my life for any of the students under my watch. I told the church last night, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to say to anyone. It's not going to be easy, but I know that it's necessary.

I don't know how everything's going to turn out. I don't know what's going to happen at East Vernon, but I know the Lord will provide. I don't know how God's going to use me at FBC Moultrie, but I'm sure he's going to and that he'll provide me with everything I need to effectively serve him there as long as I remain humble enough to seek him faithfully. I do know, however, that God is sovereign and that his ways are higher than our ways.

My last day in LaGrange is May 17. Then, I'll be heading down to Moultrie that week so that I can start at FBC Moultrie on Sunday, May 24.

It's an exciting time. It's going to be a big change, but I'm highly enthusiastic about what God has in store. Please continue to pray for me, East Vernon, and FBC Moultrie as we all make this transition together.

To God be the glory, honor, and praise for all that he has done and all that he is going to do.

All praise to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment