Friday, October 24, 2008

On the Making of Cake



Yesterday was my birthday – turning 23 on the 23rd. (I’d never heard of a golden birthday until two days ago. It makes me wonder when your silver and bronze birthdays are…).

My birthday was great. Nate and Katie even threw me a small party at the house, and a few of my really good friends came over. I received some neat gifts, including a tiny fan, a set of “The Ultimate Push Up” (you know, the little rotating grips that Chuck Norris endorses on the infomercials) complete with my face on the box, and a water balloon launcher. I must say I got some very practical gifts!

However, my birthday cake was definitely the piece de resistance (yes, I still remember some French from high school) of my birthday celebration. I had asked Katie a few weeks ago for a 5 foot tall cake which contained a beautiful young lady who would jump out during my party. You know—nothing out of the ordinary, just something simple. Katie did not disappoint, giving me an awesome cake complete with a Barbie doll inside—my own beautiful young lady. It was without a doubt the best cake ever.


In the midst of all the fun and celebration over my entrance into the world, I had some time to think last night before going to bed. I thought about friends, family, joy, and other such matters which come to mind during a birthday. I then thought about my cake. Katie put a lot of time and effort into that thing, all because she knew it would make me happy (well, to be honest I think she kind of enjoyed making it too…). She took a stupid idea of mine and gave me something even better—a cool cake and an awesome time with all my friends.

God does much of the same thing. We ask and beg for things which we don’t really need, all based on selfish whims. However, the Lord knows the thoughts and desires of our hearts, and time after time He delivers to us the things that make us truly joyful, the things that are of true importance. God’s Word tells us that He “is not slack concerning His promise.” Even though we may feel as though he has forgotten us and does not care about our needs and wants, God always comes through with everything we could really ask for. Sometimes it’s in the form of basic needs, such as daily food or a place to live. At other times our spirit is refreshed through an encouraging word or through the presence of the Holy Spirit. In the end, we are the beneficiaries of salvation and an eternal relationship with Him. And the thing that makes it even better is that God truly enjoys preparing and giving us these blessings.

Katie, thanks for the cake. To all my friends and family, thank you for a wonderful birthday. God, thank you for giving me what I need when I need it.

And thanks for throwing in a Barbie doll cake every once in awhile, too.

2 comments:

  1. great thoughts... and an AWESOME CAKE! coolest thing ive ever seen. really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! I saw a photo of your cake on Katie's blog and wondered what all of that was about. It reminded me of when I was little... on my sixth birthday I think... I had a Barbie cake too. Small world. :)

    ReplyDelete